The National Museum of Mathematics (MoMath)
- Senior Advice & Counsel
- Strategic Planning
- Reputation & Crisis Management
- Digital Strategy & Marketing
- Public Relations
- Social Media Strategy & Management
- Website Development
- Community & Government Relations
The National Museum of Mathematics (MoMath), the only math museum in North America, has been represented by Gary Zarr & Associates since its launch in December 2012, utilizing the agency to raise awareness of MoMath’s many programs and exhibitions, drive attendance, increase funding, and shape its brand.
MoMath offers hands-on math programming with a space where math enthusiasts of all backgrounds and levels of understanding can enjoy mathematics through more than 40 unique, state-of-the-art, interactive exhibits. In addition to MoMath’s home in New York City, Museum exhibitions and content are currently featured in Singapore, Brazil, Germany, Pakistan, the Netherlands, Russia, Spain, Sweden and the United Kingdom.
Due to the current public health crisis, the Museum temporarily has closed its doors. During this time the agency has focused on raising awareness of and strengthening MoMath’s engagement with its audiences to communicate that the Museum has transformed into a virtual cultural and educational attraction.
After the Museum was forced to temporarily close due to the Covid-19 pandemic, GZ&A immediately developed and implemented a strategic communications and marketing plan in order to maintain MoMath’s engagement with its audiences of all ages and communicate that the Museum had transformed into a virtual cultural and educational attraction.
The agency created messaging for core constituents and media, and promoted an expanding roster of online programs through public relations and social media. Additionally, we are drafting press releases and pitching stories about the Museum’s successful online programming to secure placements in high value media targets. The agency’s strategy is focused on raising awareness and strengthening MoMath’s relationship with its growing virtual audience.
However, the agency’s work with the Museum dates back to its initial opening. From that time forward, using a strategic blend of communications tactics, Gary Zarr & Associates positioned MoMath as the go-to resource for people to learn about the fun and accessible world of math, aimed at dispelling the common misconception that math is boring, scary, or “uncool.”
The agency runs MoMath’s social media channels, implementing a strategy that combines event promotion and audience engagement in order to raise awareness of the Museum, grow its online following, and drive attendance. The agency also creates and drives an ongoing public relations campaign that includes the development and orchestration of all marketing materials, the hosting of well-received formal media previews for new exhibitions, and dozens of media visits to the Museum. Gary Zarr & Associates continually work to identify fresh, unique angles for Museum events and exhibitions to continue broadening the appeal of math programming.
Additionally, the agency helps build and manage strategic partnerships for the Museum. In particular, Gary Zarr & Associates developed a three-year marketing partnership with the Wall Street Journal, in which the paper published math brain teasers created by the Museum that raised awareness of MoMath’s brand and elevated its standing by linking the institution with a globally admired media brand. This strategic brand positioning and promotion across all communications channels advances the message that math can be as fun and exciting as it is useful.
Since the pandemic:
- Building upon our ongoing media relations, we have landed additional placements, including New York Times, Associated Press, Wall Street Journal, BBC Radio, Scientific American, ESPN, AM New York, The Strategist–New York Magazine, SIRIUS XM Radio, NY1, CTV, Artnet, Time Out New York Kids, News 12 Bronx, New Jersey Family, Patch, ARTFIXDaily, Black News Channel, Mental Floss, Saveur Magazine, Wine Enthusiast, Virginan-Pilot, Massapequa Observer, ARTpublika Magazine, Art & Object, News India Times, CityNews, Black Star News, 680 NEWS Toronto
- Total audience reach for media placements during the current public health crisis is more than 195M
- Secured high engagement rates across all social media platforms:
- Facebook: 154% increase in audience reach; 184% increase in audience engagement
- Twitter: 142.5% increase in tweet impressions; 441% increase in engagement
- Grew Museum’s online audience nationally and globally to all 50 U.S states and over 100 countries worldwide
- Generated millions of media impressions, bringing local, national, and international attention to the Museum
- Orchestrated viral videos and PR coverage:
- Buzzfeed news video featuring the Museum’s interactive exhibitions received more than 20 million views
- Feature about Daniel Rose-Levine, a Museum partner who holds the world-record for solving a Rubik’s cube with his feet, was picked up across broadcast news affiliates nationally, covered in Reuters, ranked in Apple’s top news stories of the week, and included in CNN’s “The Week in 24 Photos”
- Secured placements in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, USA Today, New York Daily News, New York Post, New York Magazine, Time Out New York, Associated Press, CBS Sunday Morning, WNYC, Forbes, Bloomberg, Scientific American, Telemundo, Daily Mail, Epoch Times, India West, and New Tang Dynasty Television
- Greatly impacted and expanded the Museum’s online presence via social media:
- Increased overall user engagement by 236% on Facebook, more than 500% on Instagram, and more than 1000% on Twitter
- Increased followers across all social platforms by the thousands